Your Mom's place

Company Wants to Turn the Scent of Missed Loved Ones into a Comforting Perfume

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Your Mom on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:13 am

By Sumitra on April 27th, 2015 Category: Pics

Thanks to a French company, it might soon be possible to store the comforting scent of a loved one forever. They plan to launch their new line of perfumes made from fragrances that people leave on their clothes, in September.

The idea for the perfumes belongs to French insurance agent Katia Apalategui. She came up with it seven years ago, when she was devastated about losing her father. At the time, she wished there was a way she could store his scent in a bottle. Apparently, her mother felt the same way: “I also miss the smell and do not want to wash his pillowcase,” she had told Katia.

Intrigued by the idea of preserving odor, Katia began to investigate if she could actually make it happen. She tried researching but met with little success, until she came across an innovation agency called Seinari, in Normandy. They put her in touch with the department of organic and macromolecular chemistry at the University of Le Havre. Researchers there were able to explore the possibilities of bringing Katia’s idea to life. After much trial and error, they actually developed a technique to extract the odor out of a person’s clothes, and reconstitute it as an alcohol-based perfume in only four days’ time

Stinky linky

Personally, I find the idea morbid and creepy, but I can envision it becoming the richest company in the world with a 90% female/gay clientele base.
Your Mom
Admin

View user profile http://yourmomsplace.ipbfree.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Company Wants to Turn the Scent of Missed Loved Ones into a Comforting Perfume

Post by Sarah522 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:14 pm

A couple of years after my brother died, I was in my mom's basement helping her to sort through some things for a rummage sale. She pulled out my brother's old Navy pea coat, said, "Do you want this old thing?" and threw it at me.

It hit me in the face and all I could smell was the cologne he always wore. Went right down on my knees in tears. INSTANT RE-GRIEF.

No thanks!!!!! They can keep their dead person smells!!

Sarah522

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Company Wants to Turn the Scent of Missed Loved Ones into a Comforting Perfume

Post by Your Mom on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:19 pm

With all due respect, that was many years after your brother's untimely and premature demise. Would you react differently during the immediate aftermath when your grief was yet unresolved?

I have never yet lost a loved one, beyond grandparents when I was thousands of miles away, but I do know what it is like to feel the temporary absence of a loved one and reminisce with their perfume on a pillow or in a T-shirt. To have that person suddenly ripped from your life would be a truly difficult thing to deal with.

I know for certain that I would never try and recreate that person's smell If I lost them; that would be tantamount to suicide and could possibly lead to same!

I know you have dealt with these issues with your brother (somewhat different but no less devastating), but you survived and as a stronger and better person because of it!

But what I'm trying to say is that at that vulnerable moment, people are apt to do almost anything to hang on to the one they have lost.
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah522 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:51 pm

Would you react differently during the immediate aftermath when your grief was yet unresolved?

I think that would have been even WORSE, for me. I agree with you, I think it's morbid and creepy, but at the same time, I see why people would want to do it.

Sarah522

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:26 pm

Unfortunately, we are conditioned (or should I say programmed-Pavlovian responses) to hold onto the past. Very early on I learnt to dispossess myself of the past and my children are furious! What I mean is that I chose a gypsy lifestyle and only took what was immediately necessary, leaving all mementos behind! I carry all I need in my mind, beyond the basic necessities.
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tude on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Cigar breath and overuse of axe. No thanks.
Tude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Good to see you here, Tude.
Love your AV.
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tude on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:03 am

Well thank you Smile It was good to get back to the dead flies versus the ... Um I'm not sure what that was for the newbie avatar - scary. Very Happy
Tude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah522 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:15 am

Hi Tude! Love your new fly AV!

cheers
Sarah522

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top